Learning has become such a competitive activity that parents everywhere are scrambling to keep up. Every year there is a new learning trend that young parents have to master so that their children are in the loop and are keeping up with their peers. Being a parent in 2018 has become a tough job! That being said, the internet is a great resource for helpful tips, like in doodlebuckets!
Among the top things to learn before entering kindergarten are alphabets and numbers. While alphabets can be easy since we can associate children’s toys and words with alphabets, numbers are harder to learn.
Top Tips To learning numbers
Math has a lot of negative bias and associated phobia anyway. The first step to learning and enjoying math for a child is learning numbers. Here are some of the best ways for your child to learn numbers:
- Association: Does your child have 2 blocks in their hand? Tell them they do. Soon, they will begin asking for number-specific things – one toy, two slices of bread, and so on
- Earlier the better: point and teach is the earliest known teaching method. You can start this as early as their first birthday. So, for instance, if they see 2 birds, say there are two birds. They won’t understand it, but repetitive number associations mean they will begin to comprehend it soon enough.
- Music is a superb learning aid. “one little, two little, three little fingers” , “5 little monkeys jumping on the bed” are all great ways to teach your child numbers and counting as well. They also have fun while doing it since everyone loves music.
- Once you’ve begun your journey with numbers, bring it into every day interactions as much as possible. Two toys, one fruit, etc.
- Once your child is three or four, you can do a little arithmetic. So, single digit addition and subtraction they can manage.
- Written numbers will take time – until 5 years some studies say, so, don’t be in a rush with this one. They can read numbers by this time, and the writing will soon come.